How to able to locate the ‘Common’ files folder” in ProSeries. Error Opening ProSeries
Attempting to open ProSeries, the software fails to open it and one of the following messages are displayed:
1. If operating ProSeries as a Network installation, the following message is displayed:
“ProSeries was unable to locate the ‘Common’ files folder. Please ensure that you have sufficient rights to the ProSeries folders and that you are logged into the server that ProSeries is installed on. If you are unable to resolve this issue, please contact ProSeries Technical Support for assistance support.
2. If operating ProSeries as a standalone installation, the following message is displayed:
“ProSeries is unable to locate the ‘Common’ files folder. Please contact ProSeries Technical roseries.com/support.”
“Follow the instructions below for the type of installation you have. Some of these instructions are very technical. You may feel more comfortable sharing this information with your local technical adviser. (Note: YY in 20YY corresponds to the year of ProSeries experience the error; C:\ refers to the local drive; X:\ refers to the network drive.)
Note: Beginning with Tax Year 2014 ProSeries does not support Windows XP.
Follow these methods to solve your error of Files here
Close the error and open (My) Computer or Windows Explorer or File Explorer.
- Start>(All) Programs>Accessories>Windows Explorer
• Windows key + E
Open the network drive where the ProSeries 20YY files reside.
- If it does not open, contact your network administrator or IT.
• Restarting the workstation and/or server may help.
Once the drive opens properly, launch ProSeries 20YY.
Open ProSeries 20YY after each numbered step below to verify error resolution. If the error message persists, continue to the next numbered step.
1.Verify which drive ProSeries is installed to and that the drive is accessible.
- Open the file C:\ProWinYY\32bit\ProWinYY.ini.
• Under the section [Networking] note the path for DataDepot=. Close this file without making any changes.
- Open Windows Explorer and verify the drive is connected or that the UNC path is accessible through Network Neighborhood/My Network Places.
• For more information about lost mapped drive connections, search this Microsoft support article.
2.Verify the ProSeries INI file has the correct entry.
- Open C:\ProWinYY\32bit\ProWinYY.ini.
• Under the section [UninstallInfo], verify the line CommonFiles= is targeting the drive noted earlier.
By default, the path will be X:\ProSeries\ProNetYY\Common, where X:\ is the drive noted earlier.
- If not, type in the correction and use File>Save to save your changes. Then use File>Exit to close the file.
If the error occurs on Windows XP Pro workstations, disable simple file sharing:
• Open My Computer and then click Tools>Folder Options.
• In the Folder Options window, click the View tab.
• Scroll down under Advanced Options and uncheck the last check box Use simple file sharing.
4. If the error message occurs on a workstation, make sure it is using the same domain or workgroup name.
5. Delete the file C:\ProWinYY\32bit\ProWinYY.ini and reinstall ProSeries 20YY as instructed in GEN53694 Uninstall, Rename and Reinstall ProSeries Network Installation for the appropriate instance:
- the workstation: Network workstation.
• the server, if the error occurs on the admin workstation: Admin workstation and server.
6. Open X:\ProSeries\ProNetYY\ProSeriesData.ini file, in Notepad, which should contain the following [DataPaths] key for the appropriate year:
Appearance of ProSeriesData.ini as shown when opened in Notepad for ProSeries 2012.
Appearance of ProSeriesData.ini as shown when opened in Notepad for ProSeries 2013.
If these paths are not listed, copy the list below and paste it into ProSeriesData.ini. Be certain to change all YY to the year of the corresponding ProSeries. Once correctly listed, with proper year, save the file and attempt to open that year of ProSeries.
Note: As evidenced by the images in the column to the left, regarding the [Workstation] section:
1. for ProSeries 2012 and prior this section will be present.
• Do not change the WorkStationID= field.
2. for ProSeries 2013 and later, this section does not exist.
• Do not add the WorkStationID= field.
Stand alone Installation:
Verify the path where ProSeries is installed.
• Right-click on the Desktop icon for ProSeries 20YY and choose Properties.
• Note the path in the Target box.
Verify the ProSeries INI file has the correct entry.
1.Open the file:
• C:\ProWinYY\32bit\ProWinYY.ini for ProSeries Professional Edition.
• C:\BasWinYY\32bit\BasWinYY.ini for ProSeries Basic Edition.
2.Under the section [UninstallInfo], verify the line CommonFiles= is pointing to the drive verified in Step 1.
- C:\ProWinYY\Common for ProSeries Professional Edition 20YY.
- C:\BasWinYY\Common for ProSeries Basic Edition 20YY.
ProSeries Basic Edition 2012 and prior [UninstallInfo] section
ProSeries Basic Edition 2013 and later [UninstallInfo] section
3.If not, type in the correction and use File>Save to save this change. Then use File>Exit to close the file.
4.Open ProSeries 20YY to ascertain resolution of the error.
Note: If the error message still occurs, delete the file ProWinYY.ini or BasWinYY.ini and reinstall ProSeries 20YY.